Paddy Hannan Family Tree – Thomas “Tom” Flanagan (1 January 1832 – 16 November 1899) was a gold prospector who, in 1893 with fellow Irishmen Paddy Hannan and Don Shea, discovered the first gold in the rich goldfields of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia. .
Flanagan was baptized on January 1, 1832. Mary Lyons (c.1790-1870) and Michael Flanagan (c.1782-1865) leased a farm in the Clongerry district of County Clare.
Paddy Hannan Family Tree
Thomas was one of at least one of Flanagan’s children baptized in the parish of Doora Barefield (also known as Doora Kilractis). The parish is 3.5 miles (5.6 kilometers) from the city of Nice.
Losing Face By George Haddad Review
From 1831 all Irish children received an early education in literature and moral subjects under the state-funded (Irish) National School system. However, the Flanagans’ childhood turned bleak, as the Irish Famine of 1846–1851 resulted in the starvation and death of around a million people, and caused millions more to flee the country.
In contrast to the loss of Irish famine, Australia reveled in the luxury of countless Australian gold rushes.
John, one of Flanagan’s brothers, went to Australia in 1858 and arrived in Melbourne on the Marco Polo in July. In July 1860 Flanagan followed William Kirk to the docks in Melbourne.
Margaret O’Halloran, originally from Niss, had arrived in Geelong in 1850 on the Lady Gnawe. Margaret was listed as an 18-year-old domestic servant on the ship’s passenger list. By 1861, she had married John Flanagan, moved to Bidgo (then known as Sandhurst) and started a family.
Prospector Holiday Park
Flanagan and Margaret O’Halloran and their child were at Pedigo in 1864 when he had the sad task of signing his brother John Flanagan’s death certificate. In his final year (1899) Flanagan would return to stay with Margaret (second time through widowhood), at her home at 26 Howard Street, Quarry Hill, Pedigo.
Flanagan was like many miners in Australia in the late 19th century, making a living by discovering new gold fields. His death certificate shows he lived for several years in each of the states of New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia.
Many famous Australian historians and biographers describe the first discovery of gold in Kalgoorlie in 1893. Some of the best known works include those of Martin and Audrey Webb;
Eddy’s accounts differ as to who actually found the first claw. Although the argument became very heated in some press reports, it did not cause trouble between the partners.
Essential Attractions To Visit In Kalgoorlie Western Australia
Ev Shea, who throughout his life claimed to be the original inventor, acknowledged Flanagan as the first inventor in a 1904 interview with the Murchison Advocate.
A vivid version of the discovery was told in the Perth Sunday Times in 1909 by another Fred Dugan, who was working on Hannon’s claim at the time.
I found gold lying in the sand in a small body of water. Blood and dogs! I was afraid to pick it up because some people could see me from the top of the hill, so I threw a bush over it.
Inevitably the surface gold of Kalgoorlie was exhausted after a few months, and most of the original prospectors moved in search of new discoveries. Flanagan was next officially heard of as staying with his sister-in-law Margaret O’Halloran in 1899 at Pedigo.
Coolgardie And Kalgoorlie, Wa
Flanagan’s grave no. 13913, in Section H5, White Hills Cemetery. The wrong age is a copy of the error in the official death register, underestimating his age by 10 years
While at Pedigo, in November 1899, Flanagan contracted a fever. Several miners, including Flanagan, suffered from weak lungs, and he died after a two-week illness. He is buried in White Hills Cemetery, Section H5, in unmarked grave number 13913.
“Miner” and “speculator” are the occupations listed on Flanagan’s death certificate and probate documents respectively. At that time only this activity could provide sufficient income but not great wealth. Although he was considered destitute at the time of his death,
In 1900, Flanagan’s estate was valued at under 820 Australian pounds. (To put this into perspective, a three-bedroom house in Pedigo cost around £450 in 1900.)
General Hercules Review
As he died unmarried and intestate, in June 1900 the executors decided that the property would be divided among five persons named as relatives. The first was the only son of John’s brother, Michael John Flanigan, District Surveyor of King Island (Tasmania), after whom Lake Flanigan was named.
The other heirs are said to be living together at Steves Street, Halifax Street, Adelaide, South Australia, and have been named as Michael and John Flanagan, Mary Cahill and Kate Handy. They may have been children of one of Thomas Flanagan’s siblings who went to America. Adelaide’s Sands and McDougall’s Street Directory recorded John Cahill as a householder at 23 Steeves Street in 1899 and 1900.
Western Australia’s official recognition of the prospecting skills of Hannan and associates began to appear in the following year, with the grant of two blocks of land in Kalgoorlie in 1894. lived longer). Then, official ceremonies and plaques are issued on significant anniversaries of the invention (25th, 50th, 100th).
The Bdigo Advertiser of Thursday 10 September 1981, page 7, reported the discovery of Thomas Flanagan’s unmarked grave at White Hills Cemetery in Bdigo. Journalist David Horsfall writes:
Launch: Rebekah Simmers’s The King’s Sword
This tomb was discovered by the name of Mr. P.J. (Barney) Flanagan, in an article  in the August Kalgoorlie Miner of this year says there is no cousin, has done extensive research on the origin of the [gold] field. He thinks Flanagan has found the first gold, and persuades Hannan to stay with him. He researched his subject at the Patty Library in Perth, the Latrobe Library in Melbourne and the National Library in Canberra … and Ptigo.
In 1993 the citizens of Kalgoorlie-Boulder paid for the restoration of the Pedigo Tomb, a thoughtful and lasting memorial and headstone marking his burial place in section H5 of the White Hills Cemetery. The headstone reflects an error on the death certificate: Flanagan’s age is 57, not 67, and we now know that his baptismal certificate is available. In the family cemetery, created in 1901 at the request of Margaret O’Halloran, in section E4, Flanagan’s brother John Flanagan and his wife and children are all buried across the plot. The following article comes from Moya Sharp’s Outback Family History blog. . This tells part of the story of Jimmy Long, one of Paddy Hannon’s acquaintances during the gold rush. Kalgoorlie Minor
If you want a good story from the 1930s, take the long way up Cassidy Hill on the edge of Kalgoorlie to see old Jimmy Long.
Not only was he filled with memories of the colorful Goldfields life, but he also had a bond with Paddy Hannon.
Hannans North Tourist Mine — Our Gems Wa
In fact, he reached the area where Hannan made his historic discovery before Hannan took his first nail.
He shares this house with two of his friends, and his two white dogs compete for friendship songs.
His blue eyes had a weathered twinkle, and he was lively and lively for 85 years.
When he came, he would bring out two enamel mugs, a bowl of condensed milk and a basin of sugar from the box he used as a cupboard.
Ara Historical Novel Prize
Over a cup of tea he will tell how he met Paddy Hannon 30 years ago.
It was the beginning of June 1893, and Coolgardy was full of gold-hungry prospectors, eager to rush to all the new discoveries.
When the news came about a rich discovery “to the east” in Gunung Yoglo (21 km from Kalgoorlie), the city was almost deserted.
Jimmy said he joined one of Reedy’s wagons – Reedy found Gurnalby and was one of the first team.
The Griffith Institute
Another team followed and among those in the lead lane were Hannan and his companions Flanagan and Shea, who were independent from the team by having their own horses. Cork Wood is located 24 miles from Laverton on the Earlstown Road. 4 km from Ularring. There was a ‘cork tree war’ near Yundaga.
The town was gazetted in 1896. In the same year, Jack Payne and Ben Miller established a ‘pioneer store’ called Payne & Miller Produce Store. In 1898 they moved shop to Mullane and took over the Union Bank of Australia agency before advertising the business for sale. In one advertisement they sell a gallon of drinking water for 1/- shilling.
Above: – In the driver’s seat: Jimmy Matthews, Miss Sloan and Mrs Keir. Again coaches: Jack Bain, Ben Miller and Sam Burrows. coaches: Mrs. Miller and Mrs. Payne. Trooper Mills
Paddy mcguinness family, paddy kelly kelly family, hannan family, paddy family, paddy tree, paddy hannan, paddy doherty family tree, the kelly family paddy